Re: [NTLK] [OT] Re: "My Browser's Better'n Your Browser"

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Sep 18 2009 - 18:20:42 EDT

Great idea. Spybot Search & Destroy does the same thing although their list
is smaller. I did a quick little MS Access db to combine the two and remove
duplicates. Now I have a super list.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
SantaMatt@Gmail.com (Nokia N770)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/
http://SantaMatt.blogspot.com

Ed Kummel wrote:
<snip>
Go here:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
and download the hosts file there
As long as you're using an OS that uses a hosts file to resolve hosts, you
can use this technique.

Why/How does this work?
Well, in order for your computer to see another computer, it needs to know
the IP of that computer. It gets that IP from one of several sources...a DNS
server, a caching server (or proxy) and a hosts file...The computer looking
for the IP looks at the hosts file first, and if it finds an entry to the
host it's looking for, it will look no further and process the request based
on the IP in the hosts file.

What the person in the above site has done, is he's compiled a list of
thousands of "bad" URLs and put them in the hosts file and pointed them to
127.0.0.1...which is a valid IP, but valid only on your own personal
machine...this is usually called the local IP or LocalHost IP (you can PING
127.0.0.2 or LOCALHOST and they should both resolve to each other)
<snip>