Re: [NTLK] No iNewton announced today

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu Sep 10 2009 - 11:12:42 EDT

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Chilton Webb <chilton@mac.com> wrote:
> The graphic artist community would kill for a Tablet Mac. And the medical community would, and I know a lot of coaches who would as well. And they all have money. That's three different demographics, but Apple's going to have to really differentiate themselves on this one, and I'm not sure a touch screen tablet would grab the market like a stylus based one. That's my only concern.

Chilton-

Every one of these applications are called "vertical market"
applications. This was how the Newton was marketed, and most every
palmtop and tablet up until now. Vertical market is used, because they
lack breadth.

Tablets do not really make good, general purpose devices because of
the physics of the device. It has to be large enough to use, but small
enough to be carried. You probably remember the phrase that used to be
used around here, Palm for carrying, Newton for using. Even between
the Newton and Palm, there is that tension of being big enough to use,
vs small enough to carry. Tablet computers with 10" or larger screens
just aren't going to be carried around in the same way an iPhone will
be. That is what Apple is facing. A wonderful, painless interface
isn't what's missing here--a wonderful, tiny bit of hardware that is
also huge is what is missing. Until we can somehow bend the rules of
physics, or find a way to convince people they want to carry something
electronic the size of a college, wire-bound notebook everywhere they
go, it's not going to happen. Apple doesn't do vertical market, and
hasn't since they dumped the Newton...

Now, on the other hand, if we could think along different
directions--like living room, like wall, or table, or even a stand,
and rethink the Apple TV, then maybe Apple's got something up their
sleeve, but I honestly don't expect Apple to actually ever release it.
It's a non-starter. Unless Apple can be happy with it, it won't
happen.

And all this speculating about a tablet is just a waste of
time--everybody's time.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland