Re: [NTLK] MP 2000 Full Package for Sale

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Wed Sep 09 2009 - 16:40:35 EDT

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Correction: the unit shipped was confirmed to be NiMH.  The lithium pack is still here.
>
> Some people are using lithium packs I know of in their Newtons and the risks have already been highlighted here and elsewhere.
>
> Thanks, though.

It was my understanding that most people were doing any number of the following:

- Re-celling their rechargeable battery packs with higher capacity NiMH cells
- Using alkaline, NiMH, or Li-Ion cells in their battery trays
(rechargeable or no)
- Modifying their battery trays to charge rechargeable NiMH cells
inside their Newton.

I absolutely could have missed some discussions of Li-Ion re-celling
over the years, but a few quick searches of the archives only turned
up examples such as this explaining (as Frank did) that the charge
profiles are completely different:

<http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/newtontalk.2002-08/0348.html>

Are there other re-celling instructions other than Frank's
<http://pda-soft.de/mp2k_battery_pack.html>? I'm only familiar with
his.

I've been using rechargeable NiMH batteries in my un-modified battery
tray for years now as it's always been easier than cracking open any
of my numerous dead rechargeable battery packs for re-celling. I only
have to recharge every few weeks anyway, so I get a couple days
advance warning when I need to charge a new set of batteries to swap
in.

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com