Re: [NTLK] FTP in/Out NewtonWorks?

From: R A Parker <QuadzillaNET_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Tue Sep 01 2009 - 00:49:00 EDT

On Monday, August 31, 2009 at 6:46 pm Steve wrote:

> I'm thinking again about import and
> export of Newton Works documents,

Think TEXT and GIFS ... Think email and web browsers.

> complete with formatting.

Uh oh... now you're asking for it.

> I would like use the Tactile FTP
> to app to send the document to a site,
> and with a Windows app parse it into
> RTF, and do the reverse to
> get things back.

Whew! And here, I thought you were going to ask how to get your Newton to turn a WaveLAN Silver into Gold.

> I can't find anything for Windows that
> will really let this happen (trying
> with Google and Bing). Can anyone point
> me to a "Works encoder/decoder"

From what I understand, Works Import and Export was never fully implemented via translators. I'd point you to using Newton Connection Utilities and Claris Works (Mac or Windows) but even that doesn't really work, all that well.

> app or script or source code or file
> format spec?

There are plenty of references available. But, do you have what it takes to learn how to develop your own code for a discontinued platform?

Now some good news...

Your Newton can read (and write) HTML. You can FTP HTML to and from any server you can connect to. If you keep it simple and the Graphics small, you can use Newts Cape as a full featured eBook viewer. Newts Cape will also import HTML to Works or it can view an HTML coded doc, saved within Works.

Upon importing, the HTML code (although it doesn't have to be) is retained, allowing you to edit either the content or the format. You can then preview your Works doc (as needed) in Newts Cape. Upload your fully formatted document Via FTP or even email it.

In theory, FTP'ing Newton data will result in Newton binary data being uploaded and not necessarily RTF compatible text. Only another Newton would be able to download it and a Mac or a Windows PC will only see compressed binary data.

Although It may be possible, the likelihood of a Newton (or Newton Works) to Windows RTF (or better) translator being made is like... turning Silver into Gold.

Maybe someone else knows a little more about creating translators for NCX.

Best regards,

Ron

--
Sent using Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
     |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM