Re: [NTLK] RipOffs Case

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Oct 24 2009 - 13:04:37 EDT

~~~ On 2009/10/24 04:04, James Fraser at
wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk@yahoo.com wrote ~~~

> Hello,
>
> --- On Fri, 10/23/09, Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I agree entirely: no one wants to find themselves suddenly doing a Jean
> Charles de Menezes impression. That said, if you don't spend a lot of time
> trotting (sprinting?) through airports, or in the vicinity of twitchy LEOs, a
> shoulder holster-type rig might be the best way to go for you.

I'd still find a use for a shoulder holster if it were close-fitting enough,
but on the whole these belt cases do the job.

> ... I find
> myself wondering what getting on and off a bike would be like with one of
> those cases attached to my waist. The steel belt clip certainly looks like a
> pretty solid arrangement, but I can't help but think the case is going to come
> off your belt when you're cocking your leg to get on/off the bike. No to
> mention the lack of a seatbelt to attach the Newton to during the ride. ;)

When I use a bike I just slide the Newton a bit further around to the back
(at about "4:30 o'clock" or "7:30 o'clock", if you see what I mean). Score
**another** point or two for that belt clip. It's out of the way for
swinging on and off the bike, and it fits fine beneath my laptop-laden
rucksack (which in fact keeps the RipOff from riding up and coming off). I
can position it just right so the Newton has no pressure on it from the
anything and the case stays where I want it without getting in the way. The
only potential problem is if I get hit by a car, in which case I might have
bigger problems than how easily my leg can swing over the seat. ;-)

But, but -- you **don't** have a seatbelt on your bike? :-o What do you
clip your pizza box onto when you want to eat as you're pedalling?

> The heavy laptop bag I usually have with me also tends to shift around quite a
> bit. So frankly, I'd be nervous about it knocking the Newton off my waist.
> To say nothing of a waist-level holster impairing my ability to hip check
> someone when in a crowd. :)

That's another reason why I move it around to the back more.

> So while I can understand the allure of the RipOffs case, I'm not convinced
> it's necessarily "the" way to carry the Newton for everyone. I guess it's all
> a matter of what you need in a Newton case. In my own, um, case, I need
> something that's out of the way and that leaves my hips free. And a shoulder
> holster rig is, in my own experience, hard to beat for keeping the Newton out
> of the way, yet still readily accessible: it's why firearms are carried in
> that orientation. Of course, with that very consideration in mind, obviously
> there are caveats as far as where you should/shouldn't wear such a rig.

I'm entirely with you there. There's no one "right" way to do it. And
really, I consider the shoulder holster ideal for most uses. In a civilized
world we wouldn't have to worry about being mistaken for armed thugs by
armed -- oh, never mind. Anyway, the only other real drawback I can see to
a shoulder rig is in very hot weather where it's comfortable to wear only
minimal clothing (and where a shoulder holster is a serious detriment to
competing for Mr June Tan of the year). When I was in Malta last month I
was quite glad to have Newt on my hip rather than in a shoulder harness.

> I was just thinking: could you get someone to make such a rig for you, but,
> say, in a can't-miss DayGlo flourescent yellow-green or something? :)

I see the point of this too, but a better compromise might be an obvious
Newton logo. Now that would be cool, wouldn't it? Maybe even a custom logo
to make it more recognizable to the technologically challenged -- like an
Apple apple with the Newton logo inside it, or maybe the other way round.
(I'm still playing with the idea so I can't say for sure which would be
better.)

As for having it made, I suspect RipOffs might be willing to do it, and
they're probably the people I'd trust the most to do it, but someone would
have to ask.

<http://www.ripoffs.com/custom/customstart.html>

I've been so happy with the belt holsters it stopped being an issue with me.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl