Re: [NTLK] RipOffs Case

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Oct 22 2009 - 18:33:01 EDT

~~~ On 2009/10/22 20:43, Chris C at chrisc24@gmail.com wrote ~~~

> Anyone using a RipOffs case? I like the design because it has a belt
> clip, I don't always have a jacket, or cargo pockets to place the newt
> in... plus it has pockets on the front of the case, for like say my
> leatherman or other useful techie tools.
>
> TIA!

Hi Chris,

Yeah, I'm using them. Actually, I've written about the RipOff holster at
least twice before, after having been tipped off about them by Jon Glass
last year.

I recommend them without reservation: the people are great to deal with and
are very helpful in any way possible. Their holsters are well designed and
manufactured to a very high standard -- high enough that the company gives
(and stands by) a life-time guarantee. Four different permutations: with or
without the auxiliary pockets, and belt loops or clip. Their belt clip is
the first one I've ever seen that actually works well and reliably: you can
remove the holster when you want to, but in my experience it doesn't come
off accidentally.

And yes, those little pockets are useful. Depending on what I'm doing I can
carry my iPod (Classic, so not exactly small), or a phone, or some tools, or
extra cards for the Newton, or a spare Newton battery pack, or even the
charger (it's a little tight but doable as long as you don't need the slide
on plug adapter). But also, when I want to where it more discreetly under a
jacket, I have one without the auxiliary pockets. It rides surprisingly
slimly that way. Now that I have my RipOff holsters, Newt comes with me
just about everywhere.

By the way, the belt clip has a couple of great advantages over the belt
loop model. The main one has to do with the amount of time I spend
travelling in cars. Depending on whether I'm driving or not, I can move it
to whichever side of my body is safest for avoiding any hard bits like the
seat belt buckle. And of course if in doubt, I can slip it off altogether
until I get out of the car ( I usually clip it straight onto my seat belt in
front of my chest so I don't misplace it). And I don't have to undo my belt
to do it.

PS -- I just saw Jon's post about this holster. I have to say that what
I've just described is exactly why my Newton **isn't** taking a beating.

Hmmmm ... I'd really better stop now or I'll start sounding like I'm the
head of their PR department. ;-)

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl