Re: [NTLK] News Readers

From: Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG_at_aafes.com>
Date: Tue Oct 20 2009 - 11:56:50 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Morgan Aldridge
(clip)

Off the top of my head, I would say newsgroups are descendant from
email and syndication (RSS) feeds are descendant from HTML pages. RSS
feeds are XML files that exist on a server an list the most recent
updates to a particular web site or service. Sometimes full articles,
sometimes excerpts, sometimes comments, etc.

Newsgroup messages are usually stored on a regional server and
messages sent through it, IIRC. However, with syndication feeds, you
subscribe to them and your client goes out to each server, grabbing
the feeds you subscribed to, and storing them locally for reading at
your leisure. And you'd have to click through to the original site to
comment (if it's even offered as an option).

(Apologies in advance if my memory of newsgroup technology has been warped.)

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/