Re: [NTLK] Questions from a newbie

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun Oct 11 2009 - 00:40:28 EDT

Welcome to Newton Talk

On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 19:25 -0400, George Japaridze wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Purchased MP2100 and just love it. Could you please help me with the

The 2100 can be a lot of fun. Did you receive any type of serial
connector, either built in or adapter for the Newton interconnect port?

> questions below:
>
> 1) How to move data from/to MP2100 and my Mac (Mac Book Pro, 10.6.1)?
> I would prefer for a starters a wired connection, need to know what I
> need to purchase,

If you have a serial port on the Newton or the serial dongle that fits
the interconnect port then you will need a Keyspan USB serial adapter
such as the one Sonny recently offered.

If not you may consider getting a wifi card lucent turbo silver does a
good job, or wired Ethernet card. 3com megahertz xxx589xx cards with
dongle or x jack may work. For this option you will need to get drivers
installed, this can be done with a borrowed card.
Either of these choices work best with a router.

> how to do sync

Connection and data transfer is possible but true syncing of PIM is
limited

> these two etc. E.g., I already have
> on my mac 71J059 patch but can not drop it to my Newton, and I here
> time is pressing :-(
>
> 2) How to transfer applications from card to Newton?

select application b y pressing on the icon till it squeaks or select
overview (tap round do9t on button bar)then tap folder icon note
options.

> When I slide in
> the card that came with the device and tap on a drawer, many apps show
> up. How to make sure that some apps stay in the system AFTER I take
> card out, or how to "download" application from the card to a device?

follow the wiki link at bottom find newbee
<http://web.archive.org/web/20080405215257/http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/>