Re: [NTLK] My newton future... :-(

From: Andrew Beals <andrew.beals_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Oct 08 2009 - 10:48:36 EDT

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 9:04 AM, <rhonda@write-on.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 19:40:10 +0100, Lord Groundhog wrote:
> >> I am not at everybody's beck and call, dammit!!! Only now I am :-(
> >
> > The most important thing here is to become known as someone who regards
> > electronic communications as secondary and optional to real life and real
> > work: the people and things you're with are real life and real work.
> > You're a contrarian; that's good. People are half-way ready for you.
> Now
> > become an **obstinate** contrarian! Only answer your phone calls and
> texts
> > according to your own set of rules and priorities, and help the people
> > around you to get used to that by making it clear what you're doing.
>
> A lovely thought. I already partly do that.
>
> Only problem is, one of my duties at work (once I get up to speed) will
> be operations support. And operations runs 24/7, and problems can
> happen outside of normal office hours - which is why work gave me a
> blackberry.

Been there, done that. Only after my manager became the central person to
hand-hold the developers who refused to reboot their own servers ... yet
wouldn't let us reboot them until they'd performed their magic incantation
to shut down Tomcat ... did we get an on-call rotation via "Call the magic
number and the phone system (programmed by yours truly) will call the right
person."

You *are* sharing 24/7 with other people, right?

> Oh well. Last time operations had my phone number, I left them a note
> alongside the number... to please remember time zone differences and
> only wake me up if it's an emergency.
>
> Now that I have a cel only and no land line, the cel spends the night
> about as far from my bedroom as it can get in my place, and I think the
> blackberry will do the same. :-)

Cell phones, especially crackberries, accidentally fall into water all the
time. Just sayin'.

Make your boundaries clear and make sure that people respect them.