[NTLK] Where should I post my knowledge?

From: M. Horvat <redjazz_slo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 14:36:47 EDT

Some time ago, Phil Muller contacted me off-list and said he got a MP110 and wanted to actually use it for something. I replied and sent him some suggestions about apps and such. (Don't worry Phil, you'll get a nice compilation of rare packages when I find the time.) However, at the end of one particular message, he wrote:

"There is a huge resource on UNNA I know, but it is quite tedious trying to find ones compatible with OS 1.3. Most of the descriptions of said programs are non-existent, and only a few list the actual OS they are for. It is nice to know that your wealth of older Newton hardware is available for questioning periodically."

The last sentence gave me an idea to make all my NOS 1.x knowledge available on the Web, in an effort to make all those old Newtons useful.

But where?

One option would be to post it on the Newton Knowledge Wiki. I've already posted some info (how to use a Newton Keyboard with 1.x, how to connect it to Mac OS/Windows, what's some good software available for it, what hardware is compatible for it), but there is some miscellaneous (I hope I spelt that right) info that just doesn't belong on the wiki. For example this little bit of information:

On a MP120 (and maybe also a MP110), the Dates and Grade Point Average calculators will cause GoFigure to crash. So it will be unusuable. To solve this, use a soup editor such as StewPot to either delete the entry in the internal System soup with the tag slot set to "GoFigure" or change said entry's prefs frame's slot viewLastCalc to 10 for example. The next time you start GoFigure, it will show the Math/Science calculator.

The other option is to make a new Web site containing links (or copies of) to other resources available on the Web (such as my NKW articles) along with those miscellaneous bits of information that don't belong anywhere else.

What do you think?

-Matej Horvat