[NTLK] Patents on Newton interface concepts

From: Chilton Webb <chilton_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 10:35:27 EDT

Hi,

As some of you know, I have an app that does some Newton-like things.

I'm working with pen input this morning and while I already have a few
new ideas, there's this concept on the Newton that years of using a
Newton has made me unable to think around ;-)

It's the concept of 'selection mode' vs. 'input mode'. I use quotes
because I don't know what their official names are.

And you toggle between them by holding the stylus down for a second or
so. This is a very, very clean idea, and one that makes absolute
sense. So I have to wonder if this is something Apple realized the
brilliance of, and patented. Does anyone know?

Microsoft copied this for Internet Explorer, and it worked brilliantly
(my opinion). If you only had a one button mouse, clicking and holding
over something would pop open the context menu after awhile. While not
the same, the 'hold to change states' concept is. Then again, this is
Microsoft, and I know how many of us feel regarding Microsoft and
copying things ;-)

While I'm at it, I'm also curious if Apple patented either of the
following...

1) Drag to edge to make a copy
2) Drawing that straightens itself up afterwards

Obviously, I might consider adding them for pen users, if I wasn't
afeared of the Legal Might of Apple.

Thank you,
-Chilton