Re: [NTLK] Newton Addiction / Dependancy

From: Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG_at_aafes.com>
Date: Tue Oct 06 2009 - 14:46:30 EDT

My addiction for the Newton was broken when I when I was under a dare to use as old a computer as I could for the whole month of July 2005. I had to use a computer from before 1993.

No Newtons or Duo dock Macs existed really before that time, so they were out for that month. And those were devices I used a lot till then.

So I used my Atari 800 for that month and packed the other computers away. Used the Atari 800 for the most age and point value. And in the end I won. In the end what I really won was a better understanding on what exactly I need in computers.

Interestingly enough, I learned that portable computers are really not all that needed. I have a computer at home, a computer at work. My communte time is small, and even still, for the in between time I have a pad of paper and maybe a book to read. Much more efficient than something I have to plug in, turn on just to look at something, turn off when done.. worry when it gets dropped too hard....

I learned in the end that Newtons and other portable devices were really kinda redundant. And after that summer was when my Newtons started to see more time parked on charge waiting till they will be needed again. My Duo docked Macintoshs because little more then laptops parked on a shelf.

Four years later, I find the most my Newton's get is the occational game of solitare. Solo Deluxe... great game!

I have used devices to read things when travelling. Rare, mainly read real books, growing to dislike reading on a electronic device more and more. When I do read a book, it is not on the Newton since by this point I find getting things on the Newton (and off) to be too cumbersome compared to newer devices with USB connections and SD cards I can import items onto quickly and easily. (Again, 4 meg MP3 for my ipod 5 seconds verses 10 minutes for the Newton.)

Also items on the other devices can be read for what they are. For the Newton they have to be converted into a Newton book or imported some other way.

I find a portable game system is REALLY nice (my Atari Lynx is seeing more use and my Gameboy SP.) That is mainly for bathroom breaks at work. (Also the reason the Newton gets used for Solitare)

A lot more laptop time around my house with the G4 Powerbooks. One difference between now and 2005.. more wireless. And there is one other aspect that keeps me from being able to leave all current tech behind for 1979 technology even for a month... youtube! :)

I tried to make my Newton wireless, but gave up after a bit of tinkering figuring it was not worth it.

All that I really miss on my Newton is the large screen for reading books. And sometimes that tempts me to bring the Newton back online as a book reader or VNC device. Also makes a good bible from time to time when in a pinch. ;)

Doc Clu