[NTLK] Installing from PCMCIA card?

R A Parker RAParker at Newted.ORG
Sun Nov 29 15:12:47 EST 2009

On Nov 29, 2009, at 5:23 AM, Edward Kenworthy wrote:

> I was wondering, is it possible to copy the various packages I need to
> drive the ethernet card to the memory card from my Mac (which of
> course has no serial port) and then install it on the Newton from
> there?

Not really...

You are what they call bootstrapped.

> Or do I need to find both the serial dongle and a USB-Serial adapter?

Your quickest solution would be the card lending program. Someone
(snail) mails you a card that contains everything you need to get
Ethernet or WiFi working. You move (put away) the packages from that
card to your own Newton and send the card back.

After that, you may never need the serial connection again. Getting a
serial adapter setup wouldn't be a bad idea. But, with an Ethernet
card and a Mac, all things are possible.

--
Sent using an iNewt 3G Touch.
--
|\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM