Re: [NTLK] Linux PDA Similar to Newton

From: Dennis B. Swaney <romad_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun May 31 2009 - 10:14:06 EDT

Joost van de Griek wrote:
> On May 31, 2009, at 13:07, Reilly001os@aol.com wrote:
>
>> My microwave oven has two ways to cook food, 1. You choose power and
>> time, 2. You pick a preset (pizza, popcorn, etc) and it always works
>> without fail, which I exactly what I want from my computer.
>
> Computers aren't microwaves.
>
>> I don't need 27 different ways to do the same thing, to me that's
>> bloat even if those 27 different ways only take up 1KB. Give me 1 or
>> 2 ways to do something by default and the option to add more ways if
>> I don't like the 2 default ways, don't just install 27 ways by
>> default.
>
> This is up to you. Unlike microwave ovens, computers are multi-purpose
> devices. If you want a single-purpose device, either buy one instead,
> or configure your computer to become one.

This is getting off topic, but microwave ovens technically ARE
"computers" in that they use chips with the various "programs" for
cooking built-in. I don't know what these embedded cpus are though I've
heard that the PowerPC family abandoned by Apple is used in a lot of
devices as embedded processors.

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney