Re: [NTLK] Linux PDA Similar to Newton

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sun May 31 2009 - 03:32:23 EDT

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Valerio Paris Mitritsakis
<valerio@mitritsakis.gr> wrote:
> There is no such thing as a command line os, apart from MS-DOS that
> is... :p I think you are confusing the O/S with the Shell. OS/X is a
> Unix based operating system with an advanced Graphical User Interface
> (GUI). It can be started with a
> Command Line Interface (CLI) also it includes a Terminal Application
> that allows you to run CLI applications or commands within the GUI.

Actually, there's Darwin. It is a command-line-only system. I've
installed it a couple of times, trying to add an X11-based GUI to it,
and haven't been very successful. ;-) I've also done a couple
command-line installs of Linux (also with the intent of adding a
minimal window manager to the system). Also, don't forget CP/M which
was MS-DOS's primary rival when MS first came on the stage. ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland