Re: [NTLK] Avi Backdrop images

From: R A Parker <RAParker_at_TahoeSunsets.COM>
Date: Thu May 28 2009 - 01:32:00 EDT

On Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 4:06 am Phil Muller wrote:

> I really like choices you made for
> Escher backgrounds RAParker.

Yeah... I found some interesting themes with a few of his sketches. Finding the ones so naturally suited for for my 2100 the Newton... well, that made me want them on my Newton (even more so).

> how much of the background do you
> see on a givenday?

Agreed... but I think of the Backdrop not only as my starting point, but as a good ending point, as well. Showing off my Newton or or simply CLS'ing the screen when I want to be discrete.

> If I remember correctly, fair use
> comes into play if you only plan on
> using something for your own personal
> enjoyment and not gain from it in any
> manner

> so distribution is out of the
> question I would imagine.

Yep... that's how I see it.

That's why I (finally) wrote a letter to the MCEscher Foundation. All the pieces fell together and it was time to ask.

To quote my closing paragraph:

 "My motivation is strictly not for profit but for historical reasons. The Newton will (all too soon) be relegated to the museums of computer artifacts. It would be a fantastic honor to pay homage to both, M.C. Escher, and the Newton computer, by having been granted your permission to use these images as "officially" sanctioned backdrop images for the Newton platform."

Yeah... Yeah... a little melodramatic but it translates a little less so in Dutch ;-)

Escher was a Newton man.

Ron

--
Sent using Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
     |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM