Re: [NTLK] [ANN] Patch 71J059 - Year 2010 Fix

From: James Wages <james_at_kiramek.com>
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 03:49:09 EDT

<lists@40hz.org> wrote:
> please remove the Fix2010 completely before installing the patch.

Thank you for this information!

> I updated the web page accordingly.

http://40hz.org/Pages/Patch%2071J059

In the "Installation" section I see that it now reads, "If you have any year
2010 related fix such as the Fix2010 package, use the diagnostic tool to
clear all alarms and remove the package"

I now have 2 questions:

* Q1: I'm curious if there is any easy way to save alarms, then erase them,
then apply the 71J059 patch, and then restore the alarms back?

The only reason I've even thought about this is because on classic Macs,
TechTool Pro and some other utilities would do the same thing to save and
then restore Get Info box comments, which otherwise would be lost after a
Desktop file rebuild. I am therefore interested in knowing if it would be
possible to do a similar thing with alarms, as it would clearly save
everyone the trouble of having to manually set those alarms again.

*Q2: The "NOTE" in all caps at the beginning of your web page and the
"Troubleshooting" page are very scary. Has anyone emailed you to say that
their Newton has "failed to reboot after patch installation"? And have you
determined what caused those failures? (Obviously, not having an eMate or
German MP2100 myself, I am concerned about this.)

Many thanks,

James Wages