Re: [NTLK] Newton Does It! Internal Wifi Success!

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Mon May 04 2009 - 03:57:17 EDT

Maybe you would be more convinced if Apple said this to you:

"Conversely, you cannot use the Apple AirPort Card in the external PowerBook PCMCIA card slot."

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA25943?viewlocale=en_US

The one I used is exactly the same as the 802.11b Airport Cards, except it works in PC Card slots: it was remanufactured for Apple for their internal Airport Slots, and Orinoco made it in such a way that it would not work in a PC Card slot. Maybe so it wouldn't cannibalize their own wifi PC Cards?

But my card also works in the Airport slot. Even standard Orinoco cards work in there, you just have to hack off the plastic antennae cover and wedge it in.

Maybe someone will prove us wrong, with either the first 802.11b cards, or Apple's 802.11g cards and get them working in PC Card slots, but I have yet to see anyone accomplish this.

All the best,

Ryan