Re: [NTLK] OMP "AAA" cell orientation / adapter?

From: Andrei Chichak <newton_at_chichak.ca>
Date: Sun May 03 2009 - 15:03:21 EDT

In Europe they have a piece of legislation called WEEE (the Waste
Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive) where manufacturers and
importers are required to prearrange proper disposal of electron/ic
stuff at the end of its life. A part of WEEE is the Battery directive
that bans batteries that have more than a certain level of mercury,
lead, and cadmium. The amount of cadmium is 0.025% by weight (later
0.002%).

I suspect that AAA cells being so small and not having a lot of
capacity, don't weigh a lot, and therefore the percentage of their
weight that is cadmium couldn't meet the directives.

At some level it's not a problem, the manufacturer/importer just has
to arrange for all of the batteries to be returned to them for proper
disposal, which is what the auto manufacturers have to do with the
lead-acid batteries. You may say "holy crap, how would you trace every
AAA cell from import, through sales, through its life, and back to the
importer for proper, documented, disposal?" Yup, just stop using AAA
cells.

Andrei