Re: [NTLK] OMP / MP100 with backlight

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 19:59:40 EDT

Just to alert everyone (well, all the really nerdy, old school OMP and MP 100 users, as well as the 110 and 120 users) that I just found a source for an LED stylus that should provide enough light to use the Newton in low light conditions. I checked various other sources and this looks like the best light stylus in terms of form and function: many of the others are multi-purpose and too bulky.

This LED stylus's tip has a lens for the LED light contained within it. Thus, when in close proximity, and directed toward the screen of the Newton (i.e. when you input to the Newton), the light will shine over the screen. The good thing is the whole tip acts as both a light and a stylus tip, so no fiddling with extra lights, etc. The lights trajectory should provide good coverage over the Newton's screen.

They are on a blowout sale right now for $3 each, down from about $10. I bought 2 of them, shipping costs a few bucks.

It's the Saitek Light Stylus, offered by StyliSource.com

This stylus is actually intended to be used with early Palm Pilots (i.e. Series I, II and III models that were black and white with no backlight, just like the early Newtons). If anyone has used them please chime in, otherwise, I will post my experience: I actually have high hopes for this.

Ryan