Re: [NTLK] MessagePad 100

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 01:54:49 EDT

Ok guys...

I have been bumpin' hard tonight trying to catch up on work (my Newton distracts me!). Well, it does not distract me like my MacBook Pro... Tonight I have the MP 100, and am using it for TO DOs and notes.

So I am wondering, to myself, how long it takes to "break in" the MP 100. I know it takes longer to break in the handwriting recognition in these models because its write recognition only recognizes words in its dictionary: you have to add words to your personal word list for it to get better (it also gets better as it learns your writing style).

But it really limits its recognition by only recognizing words in its dictionary. Names are posing challenges. With Newton OS 2.x, it appears that the "letter by letter" recognition is a standard, consistent feature where, if the Newton can't find the word in its dictionary, it just resorts to "letter by letter" recognition and can therefore recognize words/names that aren't in its dictionary. It would seem then that adding words to the personal word list would make the Newton better/faster at recognizing those words/names in the future, but it can still accurately recognize words/names without there being a reference to it in the dictionary/personal word list.

I hope I have not confused the issue, because I think this is what is happening. To be sure, the "letter by letter" recognition option is gone in OS 2.x, where it is present in OS 1.3. But in 1.3, you can't have it both ways.

If there are any misconceptions in this post, please let me know.

Regards,

Ryan