Re: [NTLK] NBU, NCK et al: Beware of Windows XP restore points

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Mar 15 2009 - 00:46:51 EDT

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Tony Morrow <gizmo1482@gmail.com> wrote:
> here are, however, tools out there that can be used to erase the
> password off a user account. They do this by messing with the SAM
> files and password hashes. But if you encrypted files using XP Pro's
> built-in utility then those files are rendered unreadable (since
> access is based on the user and the user's password). Truth is, there
> is always a way around security. You just have to ask "how?" and "how
> long?"

Ah, the issue of security on an Windows box.
The standard way to get into an XP box is to use a tool to fiddle with the
SAM file.

I was in the same boat last year like Frank where I was doing something and
then my XP box would not let me log back into it.
In the past I had all the tools but they went by the way side when my hard
drive crapped out and all of my IT Tools which I used to do repairs were
totally lost.
My research into the matter so that I could get back into my XP box lead me
to a solution which only required that I have my original XP install CD and
to follow the instructions I found on the internet.
I was able to get back in and remove any and all passwords for ALL account
on my XP box. This is used in my computer repair services which I repair
PC's & Macs.

I was able to access all my newton stuff on my XP box including the Newton
DVD and other software repositories I have saved thus far.
But if you want to discuss the XP thing further with me lets do it off list,
but I'm sure there is no need as you can find the info yourself easily
online.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung