Re: [NTLK] v2.0 Newtons and Y2010 (was/is: I am in Newton Hell...)

From: R A Parker <RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET>
Date: Mon Jun 22 2009 - 09:47:00 EDT

On Monday, June 22, 2009 at 3:47 am Steve Crooks wrote:

> Good lord, how insidious! Never would've
> thought of that. Thanks for the heads-
> up, anyhoo.

Caught me off guard too.

> Tell me, will the '30/30' do
> a complete memory wipe? (certainly hope
> not)...

No worry, the complete brainwipe is another procedure. I'm probably going to do one eventually. But, do the 30/30 reset first and then backup your Newt while it's not acting up. Then brainwipe.

Brainwipes and Resets can be found in The Official Newton FAQ :

<http://www.splorp.com/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html>

On Monday, June 22, 2009 at 1:50 am Oliver Leaman wrote:

> My 120 is still going strong, dates and
> all, and since I am worried about
> what will happen at the end of the year
> I have moved all my 2100 data to it,
> apart from Newton works stuff, of
> course.

You shouldn't have to worry about your 2100, it looks like Eckhart Köppen has fixed it in the 2100 patch.

About mine (and at least a few others that have noted simular problems), why these 120s started acting up, I haven't had the time to research it. I'm planning to do a full brainwipe and reset the ROM patch.

I can confirm that if I set my clock to anything in 2009, a continuous restart cycle starts and doesn't stop until I do a 30/30 reset.

What version of NOS and ROM patch are you running?

Ron

--
Sent using Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
     |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM