Re: [NTLK] [Poll] Newton College Users

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat Jun 20 2009 - 05:00:12 EDT

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Tony Kan<tonykan@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> The trick to note taking is to leave recognition to later and only taking ink
> notes in the first instance.

Actually, my experience has been the opposite. I always recognize
right away, and when taking notes, I have everything cramped really
small (letter/word space, and time to recognize). What makes it work
is the realization that you don't need to write everything neatly on
one line. when I'm going full blast, I write in any and every nook and
cranny I can find, even if there's only room for one word. Also, I
don't worry about corrections. Paul's alt.rec catches them for me, so
they are easier to find later. As soon afterwards as I can, I do a
review of the notes, and make corrections then. Now, I haven't done
class notes this way--only seminars, but I've gone through four or
five lectures in a row, doing this. The only downside of outlines is
that sometimes, your text goes in the wrong place. I just do a scrub
out, re-position the cursor, and keep going. It's always done well for
me.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland