Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iPhones/iPhone OS 3.0

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jun 16 2009 - 14:22:51 EDT

~~~ On 2009/06/16 17:13, Steven Scotten at splicer@paroxysm.com wrote ~~~

> That's all well and good except that the first Rio Karma didn't appear
> until almost two years AFTER the iPod. I didn't make any comparisons
> to any MP3 players that came after the iPod. I wrote that the ones
> PRIOR to the iPod sucked.
>

> Steve

Sorry Steve, my misunderstanding.

OTOH the early iPods "sucked" too: those early iPods had no gapless
playback (and that was ridiculous since it was only accomplished by
crippling in iTunes a feature that worked brilliantly in the MP3 player
Apple pillaged to create iTunes, a Casady-Greene program called SoundJam),
no ability to add files by simple copy (not by proprietary program), no
making custom playlists on-the-fly, and as I mentioned before, a lack of
support for formats widely used amongst audiophiles, including ogg-Vorbis
and FLAC.

Of course the Karma isn't perfect, but for 2003 (and some time since), it
offers quality of substance, rather than quality of style, as its main
attraction. And unless someone wants to install special software onto their
iPod, they still can't use the common lossless formats most often used to
make quality live recording.

And if you *love* your live music recordings, that inability of the iPod
still sucks in 2009. :-)

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl