Re: [NTLK] OT iPhone => (Formerly: newtontalk Digest V9 #256)

From: Dennis B. Swaney <romad_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue Jun 16 2009 - 09:34:40 EDT

Tony Kan wrote:
> Hi Dennis
>
> I suppose the phrase "do a heck of a lot more" is also worthy of discussion.
>
> On my Newton, I plan sales campaigns, take down notes on industries, groupings,
> potential target acquisitions and potential buyers, set up to-do lists, log
> calls, note taking during meetings and the desktop is relegated to accounting
> and despatching/receiving documents in MS Office or PDF format.
>
> All told I'm probably getting about 4-5 hours of continuous usage from my Newton
> during an average work day.
>
> Outside of work, I probably get another 6-8 hours of bible study work done on it
> a week, filling out bible study questionnaires, taking down random notes from
> various study resources etc.
>
> That totals around 26-33 hours of serious usage each week.
>
> To be sure when I look at the activity that I do on the Newton, it is quite
> narrow (sales management and note taking) then perhaps what you are doing on the
> iPhone, how does it compare based on time being engaged on serious productive
> work?

True, Tony, but everyone's usage is different. However, with 10,000+
apps in the app store, I'm sure you could do just about all you describe
on the iPhone with the possible exception of heavy note taking where the
lack of HWR or Grafitti will be a hindrance. Of course there is the fact
that you have to carry an additional device with the Newton that you
don't with the iPhone: a cell phone! ;)

I'll admit that the reason I stopped using the Newton years ago was the
fact that it was so big and in many ways cumbersome. I switched to the
Palm line. I went with the iPhone 2 years ago so that I could just carry
one device.

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney