Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iPhones/iPhone OS 3.0

From: Dennis B. Swaney <romad_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri Jun 12 2009 - 02:09:41 EDT

Reilly001os@aol.com wrote:
> Dennis,
> I'm guessing you'll be able to buy an upgrade disk without even proving you have leopard. IIRC I didn't have to prove I had 10.1 to purchase my 10.2 upgrade disks and that was a retail upgrade I believe.
>
> Joe Reilly

Actually, Joe, a Apple has usually sold their major upgrades (10.2 to
10.3, or 10.4 t0 10.5) for $129 retail. Snow Leopard (10.6) is different
in that they will sell it to current owners of Leopard (10.5) for $29.
All others will have to pay $169 for the "Mac Box Set".

The problem is that while Leopard will run on BOTH Intel and PowerPC
chips, Snow Leopard will ONLY run on Intel. So how are they going to
make sure that you already own Leopard? If they do the upgrade through a
modified Software Update download, then they'll see that my copy of
Leopard in installed on a PowerPC machine. Since Snow Leopard requires
an Intel, that will stop the download right there.

I guess we'll have to see how it goes in September.

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney