Re: [NTLK] eMate overclocked

From: Andrei Chichak <newton_at_chichak.ca>
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 22:15:46 EDT

On 11-Jun-09, at 7:53 PM, Sonny Hung wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Matt Howe <matthowe@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>> Have you ever tried solder wicking?
>

> No, but I don't think it would be of a higher success rate or
> effectiveness
> to my unstrained experience.

Solder wick on a crystal wouldn't work awfully well since, as Sonny
said, it's a surface mount part and most of the contact is underneath
the part.

The PROPER way is to use hot tweezers or a hot air rework tip. You can
add more solder to get a good thermal flow going, then simultaneously
heat both sides and slide the crystal off of its pads. Use the solder
wick to clean up the pads. Don't use too much heat though, you would
probably only need about 420 degrees F (185C for modern folk). Any
more heat than that and you start lifting pads and roasting stuff.

I've seen a material that you can use that alloys with the solder and
lowers the melt temperature to 136F (58C). Solder it up and slide it
off.

Andrei