Re: [NTLK] WiFi setup help

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Mon Jul 27 2009 - 16:36:18 EDT

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Don Zahniser<dzahniser@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> Shouldn't the Primary DNS/Name Server Address be an address _external_ to
> your LAN in a manual configuration?  I have always used the addresses
> provided by my ISP when setting something up, or lately I have been using
> the OpenDNS servers:
>
> 208.67.222.222
> 208.67.220.220

Well, most consumer grade routers which provide DHCP also provide
recursive DNS services. You'll usually notice that when connected to
them with DHCP configuration that they'll dish out their own internal
IP as the primary DNS server.

I tend to lean towards just relying on the router to handle the DNS
for the client. That way, if the ISP changes DNS servers or you want
to try a service such as OpenDNS.com (which I use as well), you only
have to change those settings in one place for them to be utilized on
all machines on your network.

There's certainly no harm in hard coding them in on the client and I
was really only suggesting using the router for DNS for simplicity
reasons.

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com