Re: [NTLK] Problem backing up (corrupted Calls soup fixed)

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Mon Jul 27 2009 - 11:38:54 EDT

Ok I did eventually did fix it. The easier way was of course to restore
the old backup I had. Thankfully I did test it on another newton to see
exactly what all the data was, come to find out it was a older backup
than was labeled. However I moved all the newer data to another card
then did a restore from the backup to card 1. Then moved the data back
from the second card. This fixed it.

But I also did a experiment first in fixing it without a backup or any
other resources except the newton itself. The reason being that some
people don't backup very often and this knowledge might come in handy
(not to mention I just wanted to see if I could)

-First went into Calls and had the last/newest item listed. Then I took
a soup editor and renamed the internal calls soup that the data could
not be changed by accident with the other changes I was doing.

-Next I used Soup Mover (Eckharts) to move all the data to a second card
up until the glitch. Like everything else it couldn't get past entry 79.

-Then went into calls I started moving/filing data over to the second
card from the newest to the oldest. At the end I had everything on the
card moved over. Yet the soup still said I had 2 items left. Obviously
the reason for the error.

-Next delete that troublesome soup from card 1 with a soup editor. Soup
Kitchen couldn't do it at this point because of the way it is designed,
it just gave a error. Soup Kitchen browses the first entry in a soup,
and since this was corrupted entry was now the first one it didn't work.
 And it does not give you the option of changing the name etc before
that point. But SBM Utilities could delete it. So could other soup
editors.

-Now I just moved everything back from card 2 to 1 using soup mover.

-And finally go into a soup editor and name the internal calls back to
its original name so the newt can use it again.

After all this you have a working calls soup just like before without
any data loss that I could see. If anything it would have been 2 lost
entires but I don't think so in this case as I believe this was due to
the corruption.

-Dan

On 7/25/2009 7:22 PM, Dan wrote:
> Ok another update. I unmounted the card and remounted it, the missing
> entries are no longer there. But every time I try to view from 79 to 80
> I get the -10606 error. But both 79 and 80 shows. I just get the
> error when viewing 79 to 80 or 80 to 70. Very odd. Any ideas?
>
> -Dan

*snip*