Re: [NTLK] [OT?] Spam?

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Wed Jul 22 2009 - 09:46:46 EDT

On 7/22/2009 2:29 AM, James Fraser wrote:

> If a private carrier could deliver mail for $0.25 per piece, is that a more efficient carrier? We'll never know unless the USPS gives them a chance. Likewise, a private carrier could end up charging *more* because, unlike a government entity, it cannot go to the taxpayers for more money if it does not meet its costs. So if the *true economic cost* of mail delivery to a given area is, in fact, higher than the current, possibly artificially low price, then postal customers in that area can probably look forward to paying higher prices (i.e. have the true cost of the service they are using reflected in the price they have to pay).

Ok on this I must comment on. The USPS does not take taxpayers money.
While it is a government run entity the only money it receives currently
is postage. It has been this way for a long time (since the 1970's
anyway, I forget the exact date but I think it is much longer).

Granted they are in trouble now and it has been said they may run out of
money before the end of the year. With the recession and the other
parcel carriers they have been hit hard. However they also have very
good benefits (again being government) for their employees. They may
have to drop these perks or make other changes to survive. Either that
or they will need a bailout (and this would be tax payers money). I
hope that changes are made instead of a bailout.

-Dan