Re: [NTLK] OT Palm Pre

From: Mr. David M. Ensteness <denstene_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue Jul 21 2009 - 18:21:10 EDT

Afternoon Ryan,

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that Apple does not presently
allow 3rd party applications to run in the background and I think most
would agree that there is an increased level of functionality to be
found in allowing 3rd party applications to run in the background.
There are also potential concerns regarding system performance, UI
responsiveness, HW resources available, battery runtime, etc to be
weighed against this. From my brief look at this discussion it appears
no one is arguing about those things, for my own part I was
interjecting that there is a very large difference between an OS not
supporting multitasking and engineers / developers making a decision
not to allow background applications. These two things are
fundamentally separate.

It isn't limited multitasking, that ignores technical facts about the
operating system. Sorta like claiming the functionality of APIs not
available to 3rd parties do not exist, that would be … untrue.

-DME