Re: [NTLK] A Day In the life of...

From: Don Zahniser <dzahniser_at_rochester.rr.com>
Date: Mon Jul 20 2009 - 08:44:53 EDT

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 00:11:21 -0400, L.W. Brown wrote:

> Try 1Password (also has an ˇPhone client).
>
> Sent from my ˇBrick...
> ;-]

I use KeePassX on my Macs, but your response got me to thinking and
experimenting. I exported my password database to a text file and started
playing with ways to get the data into my MP2100 in a form that could be
encrypted. I got a clean, good-looking, error free result by the
following process:

1) Convert the text file to RTF with TextEdit;

2) Import into Newton Works via NCX;

3) Converted the Works file to Notes using Standalone's 'Route to Works',
which allowed me to specify fonts and the folder for the resulting note(s);

4) Encrypted the resulting notes using SuperNotepad. 'The Fish' should
also work for this step.

Notes:

  - This is a one-way movement of the data. KeePassX only accepts data for
import as an XML file, which presents more challenges than I want to deal
with at this time. This doesn't bother me too much, as the vast, vast
majority of changes I make to this data are while I am using my Mac, and I
suppose I could keep a separate Note for passwords that I create while
using my Newton, which I can then manually enter when I am at my Mac.

  - KeePassX is multiplatform (Linux, Mac, Windows).

  - Converting my text file directly to Notes yielded 3 notes, while going
thru Works and 'Route to Works' yielded 2 notes. I also appreciate being
able to fine-tune the fonts during this process.

  - When I tried importing the text file directly into Notes with NCX, I
got a couple of error messages and had to restart the Newton. Also, the
resulting Notes files had several 'pages' of blank space at the end of
each note, which I found inconvenient.

  - For some reason, importing the text file into Works failed. Rather
than put effort into troubleshooting that, I did the simple conversion to
RTF and tried again, with success.

Hope someone else finds this useful!

  - Don

--