Re: [NTLK] [OT?] Spam?

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Sat Jul 18 2009 - 22:34:37 EDT

On 7/18/2009 2:05 PM, Bob Carls Dudney wrote:
> On 17/7/09, Dan wrote:
*snip*
>> problem with changing addresses: spammers never take email addresses off their
>> lists
>
> By change I mean delete the old one: then server will reject those
> messages, decreasing load on server by that much at least.

Well I know what you meant by deleting the old account address, but the
spammer does not delete it from their lists. Meaning they still send to
it and yes it is no longer there so you actually 2 pieces of mail rather
than one (the spam and the bounce). So lets say you end up going though
5 addresses, now that is 5 more addresses the spammer uses and twice as
much mail is sent though the internet than if you just kept the address
in the first place. If the spammer deleted their addresses after a
period of time that would be great, but sadly they rarely (if ever) do.

However if the email server drops the mail when it hits a unknown mail
box rather than bouncing it back, that would be one thing. But most
don't and you end up with even more mail going though the network due to
hitting a (previously known to be good) address. I know why you do it,
and in the way of you personally it is definitely a advantage. But
overall it means more mail in the Internet.

I am not singling you out, it is a practice that is common place, but
not exactly the best for the internet. However it is case of danged if
you do and danged if you don't. Many spammers send out tons of guessing
addresses just seeing if one works as well and this is just as bad. I
have to wonder how much longer the system will be able to take before it
just collapses under spam. Just like the world economy is going.....

>> about 70% of email is spam
>
> One can check Barracuda for their latest daily stat: 94% yesterday
>
> What a world!

No kidding! It is up to 94% now? I know last I checked it was at 80%+
but I wasn't positive of my facts so I just went with 70% since I knew
it was above that. Sad, truly SAD. :( You know I was wondering, is
there a email server out there that only accepts signed mail in? (PGP)?
 It seems like such a service would be a advantage for important email
where you friends and associates would be willing to go to without fear
of spam. Of course the spammers would probably just start signing the
spam....here you are...spam signed sealed and delivered. :/

-Dan