[NTLK] Off Subject Apple(Doesn't)Care

From: D. Matt Dair <dmdair_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu Jul 16 2009 - 13:23:49 EDT

Today, for the 1st time in over tens years of being an Apple Product
user, I have to admit I am extremely disappointed in the customer
service and AppleCare Warranty. Almost 3 years ago I bought a first
generation Intel Black MacBook. I have been very satisfies with unit
until recently when I noticed my LCD had and issue. In the lower left
corner of the screen it began to look like the layers of of the LCD
were separating. About the same time I noted that the Airport function
would stop working after extended use and the unit would not sleep
correctly. After going through normal troubleshooting I called
AppleCare, as I had purchases an AppleCare protection plan, and the
happily sent me a box to send my unit for repair. I Happily pack up my
beloved MacBook and ship it back. That is where the happiness ends.

The follow day I get and email saying my MacBook has arrived at the
repair facility, GREAT! A few hour later I get a call from an Apple
Care representative and things start to go bad.

The representative explains to me that the technician has looks at my
unit and feels the issue on the LCD is a "Pressure Mark" and is
cosmetic so it is not covered by the warranty and the screen will cost
$170.00 to replace..
After a few minute so futile arguing back and forth on how a "pressure
mark" could not cause the inner layers of my LCD to separate I gave up
add said. "OK." $170.00 did not seem to bad for an LCD and at least I
would get my unit back and the other issues fixed.

I whip out my credit card and wait for the total.

"That will be $808.00." She says.

"What the F....?" Luckily I caught myself before finishing that
statement.

"Where do you get that from?" I naively ask.

The answer, in a nutshell, came down to since the screen issue was
considered "damage" none of the other issues would be covered. Keep in
mind that this is a 1st generate Black MacBook. Current Market Value
is nowhere NEAR $800.00.

I have purchased 5 new Macs and 4 iPods over the last 10 years. All
with AppleCare. On 3 previous occasion I have had units serviced under
the plan without issue, so I cannot say all my experiences with
AppleCare have been bad. I do have to say that this experience my make
me rethink investing in Applecare contracts.

D. Matthew Dair