Re: [NTLK] Spam?

From: Grant Hutchinson <grant_at_splorp.com>
Date: Thu Jul 16 2009 - 00:07:05 EDT

On Jul 15, 2009, at 9:28 PM, William Ross wrote:

> Is there some way that a spammer is harvesting emails from the list? I
> have an account set aside for Newtontalk (keeps my mailbox clean),
> that I haven't used anywhere else (and on a personal domain to boot).
> I can see no other way for the spammer to get this address, unless
> they've discovered MARC is a great way to harvest addresses and they
> added code to interpret them.

This is always a possibility. I have no control over the method of
address obfuscation that MARC uses, but it's a decent
implementation ... albeit rudimentary. Keep in mind that many spammers
simply compile enormous lists of canonicals (the unique name prefixing
the address) and domains, mashing all of the combinations together for
their mass mailings. It is possible absolutely possible to reconstruct
your email particular email from completely unrelated addresses
scoured from the interweb.

g.

Grant Hutchinson

Interface Considerations. Feature Deprecation. Typography. Rawk.

http://splorp.com
http://mtile.us/splorp
http://flickr.com/splorp
http://twitter.com/splorp