Re: [NTLK] More MacPad Rumors

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed Jul 15 2009 - 01:44:17 EDT

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 5:20 AM, <Reilly001os@aol.com> wrote:
> I believe there is a few other happy hackintosh netbook users here too. How much power and fancy crap do you really need to surf the internet and check email?

[raises hand] Me too! My Wind is running OSX, and does it with aplomb.
It's a bolt of lightening compared to my Pismo, and the only apps I
can't run without an external monitor are Canon's DPP and iMovie. To
run those, I do a software-based external monitor (It's called Screen
Recycler, and uses VNC to convert a second computer to an external
monitor--not perfect, but I have a couple old laptops lying around,
getting minimal usage--which make excellent second monitors, and take
up less space than my huge CRT). I use my Wind for everything I use
computers for, including photo editing, video editing, audio recording
and editing, video chat, audio chat, writing, writing and more
writing, oh, and Keynote! It's great! Also, a couple weeks ago at
church, I forgot the DVD at home that we were supposed to show. I
happened to have the original video file I used to make the DVD, so
ended up showing the video from my Wind--all from battery. Yeah,
sometimes it trys your patience, but it's so small and light--exactly
what my Duo was, only about 100 times better! All of these are things
a tablet would be _less_ capable at for me. (Does anybody remember all
the hacks and workarounds people did to use their keyboards with their
Newtons? Tablets have the same problem...)

I just hope that Apple doesn't spoil the game by breaking Snow
Leopard, and not giving us a 10" laptop. That's all I want--a 10"
laptop... And I don't care if it costs $1,000. I paid $500+ for my
Wind...

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland