Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple QuickTake 200 (enthusiasts read please)

From: Alexander Schreiber <als_at_thangorodrim.de>
Date: Fri Jul 10 2009 - 14:36:50 EDT

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 01:47:50PM -0700, rhonda@write-on.org wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 13:32:38 -0700 (PDT), M. Horvat wrote:
> >
> > So I did a bit of research and found out that cleaning the card
> > contacts with isopropyl alcohol would do the job. But apparently it
> > is very difficult to find isopropyl alcohol in Slovenia as no store
> > had it.
>
> Isopropyl alcohol/isopropanol is rubbing alcohol; any drugstore and
> most supermarkets should have it near their bandages and other first
> aid items. It can also be found in the form of individually packaged,
> sterile disinfectant wipes, also in the first aid section. It's used
> for cleaning wounds. The actual chemical name may only be in small
> letters on the container.

While that is true in the US, is isn't necessarily that way elsewhere.
In (parts of) europe, hardware stores are also a likely source for the
stuff. If you still can't get the stuff, ethanol might work as well.
Since methylated spirit has various additives to keep people from
drinking it, I used the cheapest vodka I could find when I needed
an ethanol based cleaner (any remains can be used as drain cleaner,
since the dirt cheap vodka isn't worth drinking).

Regards,
      Alex.

 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison