Re: [NTLK] When was the last time you saw another Newton

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jul 09 2009 - 19:26:14 EDT

~~~ On 2009/07/09 22:52, Andy Hill at adhill@fastmail.co.uk wrote ~~~

> Has anyone in the last 5 years actually seen another person carrying or
> using a Newton in public or at a meeting?

That would be yes. Four years ago this month, I was sitting in a Starbucks
watching an old guy scribbling away in his Newt, and we got to talking.
That was the final step in the process that led to me to buy a Newton (that
first Newt's 4th anniversary is the 22nd of this month). Since then I've
seen them from time to time, though not all that often; as you know, they
are pretty rare now!

I travel a lot so I tend to see them on trains or coaches, in airports, and
so on, where usually the circumstances aren't ideal for walking up to a
total stranger and starting a conversation. I find I'm more likely to end
up talking to other Newt-users when they see me using mine. The very last
time I saw a Newton product was last month, when a man and his daughter
were in a shop where I was. She was waiting for her dad, sitting and using
her e-Mate. We actually did get the chance to talk, briefly, but on that
occasion I was also engaged in conversation with two of the shop assistants
who wanted to watch me writing in my 2100.

There are also some people in my Mac User Group who have Newtons but I'm not
counting them.

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to the coming Newton T-shirt (it's
still coming, right guys?) is because I have a feeling that it will aid us
Newtonians in recognizing one another. In the meantime, I just keep
enjoying my Newton.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl