Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple QuickTake 200 (enthusiasts read please)

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jul 09 2009 - 18:00:04 EDT

~~~ On 2009/07/09 21:47, rhonda@write-on.org at rhonda@write-on.org wrote
~~~

> On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 13:32:38 -0700 (PDT), M. Horvat wrote:
>>
>> So I did a bit of research and found out that cleaning the card
>> contacts with isopropyl alcohol would do the job. But apparently it
>> is very difficult to find isopropyl alcohol in Slovenia as no store
>> had it.
>
> Isopropyl alcohol/isopropanol is rubbing alcohol; any drugstore and
> most supermarkets should have it near their bandages and other first
> aid items. It can also be found in the form of individually packaged,
> sterile disinfectant wipes, also in the first aid section. It's used
> for cleaning wounds. The actual chemical name may only be in small
> letters on the container.
>
> I can't help with any of your other questions, unfortunately.
>
> -Rhonda

Something that may or may not be important: in some countries (like the UK,
for instance) "rubbing alcohol" has other stuff added to it to discourage
people from trying to drink it. Unfortunately, in my experience some
manufacturers use additives that don't evaporate completely, and can leave a
residue. I have no idea whether or not the residue is electrically
conductive; I didn't have the time to experiment, and I didn't have the
inclination to risk a beloved piece of electronic kit just to test it.

I always use 90% isopropanol; experience has made me confident that it takes
any impurities with it as it evaporates. It's worth hunting for. If you
can't find it in first aid supplies, try supplies for chemistry classes -- a
common alternative for a bunsen burner in beginning chemistry is the alcohol
lamp, and the usual fuel is very pure isopropanol.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl