Re: [NTLK] [FS] Free Beige PowerMacs G3 Minitowers to a Newton home

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Tue Jul 07 2009 - 07:36:21 EDT

Tony,

Sorry for flaking out on this. You're in line for early dibs on these
machines as you were one of the first responders to my original post.
The following is the email I'm going to send to the list (although I
already accidentally leaked it) once early responders make their
picks.

Truthfully, I'm not sure how to do the customs paperwork and such to
ship across the border, but send me your postal code in Toronto and
I'll try to figure it out.

-----

My sincerest apologies to everyone for flaking out on the free
PowerMacs I offered to list members a month or so ago. This time I've
completed the testing, spec'd them all, figured out the shipping &
packaging details ahead of time, and I'm not overly swamped with other
projects.

Here's what I've got to offer:

Beige G3s:

[A]
300MHz PowerMac G3 Minitower
384MB RAM
9GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM & Zip Drive
Mac OS 8.5

[B]
300MHz PowerMac G3 Minitower
256MB RAM
32GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM & Zip Drive
Mac OS 8.5

[C]
300MHz PowerMac G3 Minitower
256MB RAM
4GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM
Mac OS 8.5
(Severe case yellowing.)

Blue & White G3s:

[D]
350MHz PowerMac G3 (Blue & White)
256MB RAM
13GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM & Zip Drive
Mac OS 9.1

[E]
450MHz PowerMac G3 (Blue & White)
256MB RAM
6GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM
Mac OS 9.1

[F]
350MHz PowerMac G3 (Blue & White)
256MB RAM
6GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM
Mac OS 9.1

PowerMac G4s:

[G]
450MHz PowerMac G4 (Sawtooth)
384MB RAM
20GB Hard Drive
DVD-ROM & Zip Drive
ATI Rage 128
Mac OS 9.1

[H]
450MHz PowerMac G4 (Sawtooth)
1GB RAM
20GB Hard Drive
DVD-ROM & Zip Drive
ATI Rage 128 Pro
Mac OS 9.1

[I]
450MHz PowerMac G4 (Sawtooth)
384MB RAM
20GB Hard Drive
DVD-ROM
ATI Rage 128
Mac OS 9.1

[J]
450MHz PowerMac G4 (Sawtooth)
1GB RAM
20GB Hard Drive
DVD-ROM & Zip Drive
ATI Rage 128
Mac OS 9.1

All machines have been tested by booting from the Mac OS (8.5 or 9.1)
Install CD, zeroing out the hard drive (formatted as HFS+), and
installing the OS (with all all languages packs and both web
browsers).

These were pulled from production in a graphics department a few years
ago and sat on shelves collecting dust ever since. They've all had a
basic interior dusting and scrub of the exterior of the case. All
definitely have various scuffs and scratches (one beige G3 has a
significantly yellowed case, as noted, but all have at least a little)
and are missing a few PCI slot covers (which I'll try to dig up a few
extras of to install). They're not going to be collectors items, but
are in working order.

As mentioned previously, I'm offering all for free to the NewtonTalk
list as they were free to me and in the hopes that at least one will
be used for Newton development. I'll put the remainder on the LEM Swap
list for a small fee to cover testing fees.

Now, onto the shipping details. Unfortunately, My local UPS store
quoted $20 per machine for packaging, plus each machine weighs either
34lbs or 30lbs (Beige or B&W/Graphite, respectively). So, I'd highly
suggest UPS Ground within the contiguous 48 states. A Beige G3 looks
to cost between $20 and $50 for UPS ground, not including the $20
packaging.

Let me know if you'd like one and which one (they're lettered, if you
hadn't noticed) and I'll get it shipped out ASAP. (I'd like to have my
living room back.)

-----

Sincerely,

Morgan Aldridge