Re: [NTLK] going Back as Newton user

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Jan 31 2009 - 17:53:35 EST

On Jan 31, 2009, at 1:12 PM, Raphael Coiman wrote:

> So, I need the help of this community so I can put back my Newton into
> function. This is what I have:
> Newton with all original Newton software and Notion (data base app)
> and Newtscape as this part apps. I think I had a a demo for Tibet
> (imaging software) that I need a key to unlock and all accessories. I
> use NiMh rechargeable AA batts., have the dongle and charger. I have 1
> or 2 old PCIMA (?) cards of few Mb as they use to be at that time, One
> modem card (33Kb/sec), the original pen and carrying case. I also have
> the Keyspan adapter Serial to USB. I have the Newton original software
> CD's too.
>
> Despite that all the information might be present in the UNNA forum
> archives, I just have no time to browse back on it. The last time I
> was intending into upgrading my Newton, Paul Guyot was working on the
> new memory card compatibility thing so we could use the new type of
> storage cards with the Newton; I do not know where all this ended.
> I've read about an "Einstein" s/w but I don't know what is it all
> about.
>
> I work with Macs running Mac OSX 10.5t (Leopard) and an old iMac CRT
> running OS 9. I understand that there are programs in order to
> synchronize the Newton with the Mac OSX+ and I just need precise
> instructions on these issues:
>
> 1.- What piece of software do I need to instal on my Mac and or Newton
> to pair, install and back-up my device?
since you have USB serial you ay want to install NewTen, an excellent
software installer.
see <http://www.unna.org/view.php?/macos>
You will also want to get Packager, an osx app to correct filetype of
packages.
Also try NCX, I use it successfully via serial, and ethernet.
see <http://homepage.mac.com/simonbell/connection/>

> 2.- What do I need to purchase to increase the memory storage? Are
> there in the market all fashion cards with about 1 Gb or more that fit
> the Newton?

Paul's ATA driver is available and free registration
<http://www.kallisys.com/>

Seems that larger cards slow things down a bit.
Keep heap issues in mind.

Larger linear flash cards 20 to 32 mg are available from time to time.
watch this list or search ebay

Wifi driver
<http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm>
"link" downloads folder with driver and source
> 3.- What piece of s/w/ I need to handle new cards?
See above

> 4.- What do I need to connect wireless to WiFi (Airport ant home and

Follow above links. There have been recent conversations regarding WEP
I use wifi router and 40 bit WEP without difficulty
many cards work look at link to Paul's site

> other networks elsewhere)?
> 5.- Has anything being developed or adapted in order to connect via
> BlueTooth with the Newton?

Some folks are using Bluetooth with Pico adapter
drivers <http://40hz.org/wiki/index.php/40Hz>

> 6.- Is Notions still supported?
> 7.- Are there any new Internet browsers or e-Mail client capable to
> handle the present time type of emails? What do I need?

I use Mail V with Comcast. It allows setting of port as required by
this isp.
IMAP and POP
No if ssl required. Though maybe some folks have found proxy work
arounds, Don't recall for sure.

> 9.- Is Apple still repairing Newtons or are there other people doing
> so?
No to Apple. Some folks are doing repair. If you need something ask.

> 10.- Where can I find more info and resources to go back with my
> Newton and enjoy it with peace of mind?
The wiki link below. Currently using wayback machine so a bit slow
but very useful.

The Newton is still usable.

Woody