Re: [NTLK] Einstein on N800 Redux

From: Mr Jonathan Dueck <jonathandueck_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Jan 24 2009 - 16:43:11 EST

--- On Fri, 1/23/09, Charles Mangin <option8@option8.com> wrote:

<snip>

> if you do get it working, and it has even a modicum of
> usability,
> please post a binary somewhere!

Will do!

> on a side note, i'd love to know what software you have
> installed on
> your N800 that you use most often. i have one, and i feel
> like
> sometimes it's underutilized, partly because i
> don't have the right
> set of productive apps on it, and partly because i was
> spoiled by my
> first PDA - a MP2000.

A predicament we share. All the same, there are a bunch of useful apps out there. I use, probably in order of importance:

- (the built-in browser, email, and chat, obviously--which are all pretty good!)
- Xournal -- it's an _excellent_ ink note-taker, and it can also be compiled for the Mac, so it's easy to move / edit documents between the platforms
- Maemopad+ -- an OK notepad-like app. (When not using my vastly superior Newton for these purposes) I sometimes use the sketches / ink notes for capturing ideas, and the checklists (which are not very well implemented, but getting better) for tracking projects / to-dos.
- FBReader -- a nice book reader, which reads all kinds of formats--I use it to read Mobipocket books mostly
- GPE Calendar & Erminig - a reasonably nice calendar program that syncs with Google Calendar
- Pimlico Tasks - an OK task manager
- Abiword - which is just now becoming usable on the N800 OS2008... long time coming
- Gnumeric - always usable
- VIM 7.1 & Vim Outliner - a very nice text editor and outliner, but only if you use an external keyboard
- Leafpad - a very nice text editor, for use with OSK / HWR too
- Kerez - command-line scripts that you can click, very handy
- MGCal - shows your Google Calendar schedule as a home applet
- Unison - syncs a files directory with a "hub" at my University, and from thence to my Mac, very handy

So, that's what I use. At the risk of making this [OT], which we can do, what do you use? (For core PIM functions and for GTD, the Newt is still much nicer in my view. But it's less portable, and the web functions and simple file exchange on the N800 make it a pretty nice candidate for the box I take with me.)

-Jon