Re: [NTLK] installing newton press on OS9

From: Joseph Reilly <reilly001os_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed Jan 21 2009 - 02:28:48 EST

David,

I'm assuming your using a dual boot osx/os9 machine since afaik os9's
diskcopy can't read dmg images? If that's the case, simply mount both
disk images from osx, leave the files in the disk images, start the
installer from in the disk image and install through classic. If you
used one osx machine to download and extract the files from the disk
images and are trying to install on another machine that only has os9
you need to put the files from the first disk image in a folder named
"Newton Press Install 1" and the file from the second disk image in a
folder called "Newton Press Install 2". The installer looks for disks
or folders with those two names for the files to install so if you
put them in one folder or use different names for said folders it
will stall and ask you for the second disk. I don't know why disk
images that are to be installed on os9 are in an osx only format but
that is how it is, so you need to install through classic or use
folders named like the disk images if trying to install in os9. I was
able to install and run newton press using both methods above. A note
on installing though, I used the custom install option because the
installer want's to overwrite the newer "apple modem tool" in os9. I
selected everything in the custom install except that which is
located under newton press > communications tools option in the
custom install section. I also told the installer to use the newer
version of apple guide that is on my system rather then install the
older version comes with the newton press package. The guide seemed
to work fine, however I didn't try to link to my newton so you may
have to reinstall and overwrite the newer "apple modem tool" with the
older version if you can't link to your newton although I don't know
what effect that will have on using the "apple modem tool" with
modern os9 apps. (yeah I know I used the words modern and os9 in the
same sentence :-) Hope that helps.

btw I'm using a g3 ibook with os9.2.2 and osx 10.4.11 and I got a
fresh copy of the newton press 1.0 zip file from unna.

Joe Reilly