Re: [NTLK] Is iPod Touch the Newtons future?

From: Joel M. Sciamma <joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk>
Date: Sat Jan 17 2009 - 12:45:51 EST

Joe,

The basic difference between the two platforms is that the Touch
machines are content browsing devices and the Newton is a content
creation device. Trying to make either have the characteristics of
the other is generally unsatisfactory.

I agree the Touch UI, form factor etc. are very impressive and they
really work for the tasks that they are best at, but Apple want to
make it difficult for you at the moment because they are not ready to
let these products challenge their laptops, both because the Touch
platform is not quite ready or widespread enough and because they can
reap the rewards of more expensive products for longer.

The touch devices sparkle with promise but they are not going to make
good content creators without a lot of infrastructural support from
Apple, both on the hardware and the OS sides.

I would love a tablet that supported multi-touch, stylus and keyboard
control and the latest ModBook is edging in that direction but until
a suitable API exists that can be used across all Apple products,
there will be no incentive to modify applications to make full use of
that capability.

I personally have abandoned any hope that a single device can fulfil
all the requirements we might have of them so I use the most
appropriate tool for the task in hand, whether laptop, Newton,
calculator, pencil and paper, pictures or voice. Torturing any one of
those into fulfilling the role of another is very time consuming and
usually disappointing.

For running around, talking to people and taking notes, the Newton is
currently unbeatable - so let it do that and use something else that
is at the top of the pile for that different function.

Joel.