Re: [NTLK] [ADMIN] This is only a test

From: Tony Kan <tonykan_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Fri Jan 16 2009 - 17:25:02 EST

Hi John

My Cousin bought a 2nd gen one too. We sat down just before Christmas and
discussed the relative merits of the two. However he said "if you want it as a
PIM, then stick with the Newton, its a pain to get information into it [through
the touchscreen]."

Andy Hill did a HWR benchmark test a while a go and challenged everyone to time
how long it would take to input the three paragraphs and to count the errors.

I wonder what the results would be if a few iPod Touch or iPhone users were to
do the time trials (don't cheat, no practice!) using the onscreen keyboard?

Here is his test paragraphs:

"The Apple Newton's handwriting recognition system is so good that these 3
paragraphs of text can be written and digitized in about 195 seconds.

Achieving this speed as well as being accurate does take a little practise and a
set up on your Newt that's right for you. However once you get in the swing of
it you'll be able to write quickly and precisely and make the very best of this
brilliant and thoroughly useful device.

Now considering this technology is more than 10 years old that's quite amazing!"

I know of one iPod Touch owner who did it and he took 402 seconds and made 4
mistakes.

Cheers

Tony