Re: [NTLK] too Quiet on the List(Pippin)

From: <Reilly001os_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun Jan 11 2009 - 19:25:25 EST

Dennis,
My disdain for AT&T has nothing to do with them from a technology stand point in fact I was considering switching to AT&T before they merged with Cingular, as they do have the best gsm setup in th USA. But you can be sure that most of the same Cingular service and billing centers are serving my area except they just fly the at&t banner now which is where I have a problem. Cingular lost one of my payments that I gave them through they're phone credit/debit card system and I had to fight with them for two years about it. I canceled my service and refused to pay them for the last month of service until they figured out where the previous months payment went. After sending them bank statements and talking with they're minions on the phone many times they finally stopped looking for my payment and decided I just hadn't paid them. They sent a collections agency after me for the last months payment and the previous months payment which I already gave them! I finally just paid the collections agency so they would go
 away. About a month after I paid them I got a check back for the exact amount of the lost payment! This was an ongoing battle for two years, and one year after I thought everything was settled (so three years after the original problem) I got a letter from another collections agency on cingulars behalf because they didn't close my case out right. That agency closed my case after I sent them the paperwork from the first agency. My point is I don't want to even take a chance at another 'fun' adventure like that with AT&T since its more likely they rebadged the Cingular systems instead of dismantling & retooling them.
IMHO your arguments are flawed because you didn't consider the none network issues. Verizon would've been just as bad a choice I think not just because of they're network system but also because of how draconian they are about what you can do with YOUR phone. They cripple phones so you have to pay for they're services (crippling GPS chips so you can only use them if you pay for they're navigator service is one example). I understand the are trying to make money but the go over board with trying to control how the customer does things. Verizon does have at least one CDMA phone that can take a Sim and run on gsm networks outside the USA, I don't remember the model but they labeled it as a CDMA world phone.

IMHO tmobile would've been the best to go with. They have decent network coverage, although not the best, they're not too controlling about how you use your equipment and I've heard more cases of their customer service reps handling problems well and giving credits to customers who've had problems then horror stories like mine with Cingular.

That's just MHO though.

J.Reilly

~~~~

>Dennis B. Swaney said:

I'm tired of hearing about how Apple supposedly made a mistake going
with AT&T.

1. Apple TRIED to make a deal with Verizon, but Verizon turned them down
FLAT! Cingular (now AT&T) jumped at the chance to make a deal with
Apple; they just demanded 5 year exclusivity.

2. AT&T uses GSM just as the rest of the world; you can't use a CDMA
Verizon phone outside of these United States (as my brother-in-law
learned the hard way)

3. The fastest way for Verizon to get GSM capability is to merge with
T-Mobile, then when the 5-year exclusive contract between Apple and AT&T
ends in 2012/2013, they'll be able to use iPhones.

4. I've had no problems with Cellular One/ATTWS/Cingular/AT&T be it on
the analog/TDMA/GSM networks.

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney