Re: [NTLK] Letter from Steve Jobs

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Thu Jan 08 2009 - 03:33:05 EST

Apple is different today... but not always different in a better way. The Newton is something that Apple will not produce for the foreseeable future because the Newton is a business device, not a consumer device. That is what made it so powerful, so functional.

Today, with the advent and subsequent acceptance of an array of technologies, many of which the Newton is capable of, the Newton may appear to be more consumer friendly than it was in its day. But back then, it was strictly marketed to business people, and was intended to function in a business environment.

In fact, I use the Newton in a business setting and it works very well (serves as my personal secretary). But Apple is now a full fledged consumer company, making technology for people, not so much for businesses, although Apple computers work well in business environments.

With that said, something so unique like the Newton, with its functionality so radically different than the Mac OS, yet incredibly powerful... it won't happen. Everything will continue to revolve around the web, iTunes and the iPhone: for consumers. While I am sure most of us would welcome a tablet from Apple that ran some form of OS X, it would likely feel similar to the iPhone blended with OS X. That would be cool, but it probably would not have things like its own operating system, a stylus, etc.

That was what was so cool about the Newton: it was its own ecosystem, and us business users love it. If Apple started to eye business more, then I think a Newton successor would be much more likely (i.e. focused devices like Tablets for the medical profession, etc.). Until then, expect overly GUI laden, iTunescentric gadgets that show no hints of HWR with matte screens, and so forth.