Re: [NTLK] It is the Fix

From: Valerio Paris Mitritsakis <valerio_at_mitritsakis.gr>
Date: Sun Jan 04 2009 - 20:44:48 EST

A bit off topic here, still I've had a thought I want to share with
you. Most people attribute the decision to kill the Newton to a
revenge of Steve Jobs against Sculley.
However "colorful" (to put it mildly) Steve\s character is (from what
we read here and there) he is no fool. What I believe happened with
the Newton was that when
Apple faced bankruptcy and called back Steve Jobs in 1997 as a CEO it
needed a few things in order to move on. 1st and foremost to focus on
the key areas it was
best at which were Creative Pros (DTP, Design. Prepress) and
Education. The next important thing it needed was a commitment for the
development of one of the
most renown application suites, Microsoft Office. However the deal was
something more than that as it included a patent cross licensing plus
some serious cash and
more stuff.
This brings us to what I think happened with the Newton. Apple agreed
with Microsoft to kill the Newton so that they would have the handheld
marked to them selves.
In the light of saving the company, killing the Newton was a small
price to pay and kept Apple out of the market for a decade until 2007
when they introduced the
iPhone...

Of course it is totally possible that all of this exists only in my
mind as I do not have any connection whatsoever to Apple and I could
not have any insight on this matter.

Anyway it's a pity that Apple killed the newton, as it was way ahead
of it's time (I own the H1000, 110, 130, 2100 and the eMate) still if
my speculations where true I
would not be typing this on a MBP right now without sacrificing the
Newton

Μητριτσάκης Βαλέριο Πάρις
Σύμβουλος Πληροφορικής
Ηλεκτρονικός Μηχανικός Τ.Ε.
MSc Network Systems
MCP ID: 5745185

Mitritsakis Valerio Paris
IT Consultant
Electronic Engineer
MSc Network Systems
MCP ID: 5745185
Συμβουλευτικές Υπηρεσίες
Πληροφορικής - Τεχνική υποστήριξη Η/Υ &
Δικτύων
         IT Consultancy Services Computer & Network Tech Support
                        http://www.mitritsakis.gr