Re: [NTLK] [OT] eBay sniping

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue Feb 24 2009 - 13:20:11 EST

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Colin Pate <pate.colin@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought that sniping was a bid made very late (maybe 1 second before the
> end) by a ebay sniping computer program, used so that they can *just* outbid
> the winner by a teeny bit.

it's a last second bit--may be automatic, using some computer
program--but it doesn't have to be. But the idea is simply last
instant bidding. And yes, the goal is to out-bid by a teeny bit, but
that means that the sniper must make a guess at how much the highest
bid is. I've been "sniped" on numerous occasions, but they lost,
because they underestimated my max bid. Sniping is not foolproof.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland